View single post by Basecat
 Posted: Thu Feb 21st, 2008 03:24 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Basecat

Mana: 

Evening all,

I have been a member of the CWRT of NY for the past 11 years, and am just finishing my first year as the VP of Programs for the Round Table.  Guess my greatest surpise when I was elected to the job was the lack of female speakers we have had here over the years.  My goal here when I took this job was that the speakers I got for our meetings would have to know their CW history, and I could care less whether they were male or female.

I know I have done that, and the winner of the Fletcher Pratt Award, which is the most prestigious award our Round Table gives out will be awarded to Professor Joan Cashin of The Ohio State University this May.

It's a tough job trying to line up speakers, but amidst all the problems I have found myself facing, I am very grateful that many of our members have come up to me and thanked me for the various speakers I have lined up since last September.

To me, the big problem facing RTs today is the fact that we can't draw younger folks to join up and be a part of the tradition here, which has been going on for the past 56 years.  I am one of the younger members of the RT, and I will be turning 45 this July.  I wish I could figure out why there is not more interest in the younger generation in terms of our shared history.  Scares me to hell when I think that organizations like the RT here in NY could find itself out of business down the road.

Regards from the Garden State,

Steve Basic

VP of Programs, The CWRT of NY

Close Window