View single post by samhood
 Posted: Sat Feb 23rd, 2008 04:48 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
samhood

Mana: 

Johan:

In an earlierr post you stated that Hood's first two attacks on Sherman (Peachtree Creek and Atlanta [Decatur]) were Johnston's plans.  But you criticize Hood for those attacks.  You seem reasonable and learned (I'm being sincere here,) please explain.  BTW...I have heard that Peachtree Creek was probably Johnston's conception, but I've not heard that Atlanta (Decatur) was Johnston's plan.

I believe that Hardee was not considered to replace Johnston because Hardee had declined command of the AoT when offered to him after Missionary Ridge.  All other options other than Hood probably didn't appeal too much to Davis and the CS High Command.  The CS was running dreadfully low on senior generals by the summer of 1864 (Longstreet was wounded) so they had few options...Hood being the best of a bad (for the want of a better word) lot.  The Georgia newspapers and public were demanding aggressive action against Sherman, and Hood was the best choice to deliver that. An interesting quote...Kate Cumming wrote in her Journal of a Confederate Nurse, “Feb. 26, 1865: It is reported that General Johnston has taken command of the Tennessee Army or rather what is left of it.  This has given universal satisfaction, but no one can tell for how long, as that hydra-headed monster—the people—is a little inclined to be fickle.  I have been told that before General Hood took command, the people of Georgia sent many a petition to the president, asking him to remove General Johnston, as he was permitting the enemy to lay waste to the country.”

At Nashville Hood did more than lay seige and hope for a mistake by Thomas.  He sent Forrest and Bate to attack the Federals at Murfreesboro, hoping to lure Thomas into sending reinforcements, where they might be attacked en route.  And Hood begged for reinforcements, Breckinridge in VA and from Mobile.  He and Beauregard also asked Kirby Smith to make a demonstration into Missouri to freeze AJ Smith's troops there and keep them from being sent to Thomas.

We'll respectfullly disagree on whether Hood should have attacked at Franklin.  It failed, but he had reasons.  And had Opdycke not been where he was (without permission) Schofield might have been routed.

Close Window