View single post by TimHoffman01
 Posted: Fri Apr 21st, 2006 12:28 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
TimHoffman01

Mana: 

Hi SusanSweet2!

How Right you are on the admission prices...that "somewhat expensive" was meant to be in relation to the other civil war sites, normally run by the governement, that are either free admission or something really nominal like the $5 per CAR.  (Paramount's Kings Dominion is getting pretty close to Disney's price nowadays too).

You also helped make my point on Richmond's offerings.  City Point and Five Forks are just part of the iceberg.  I also left out Drewry's Bluff (Ft. Darling) and several union forts nearby.  The list goes on.

The Poe museum was good, I thought, mostly if you were familiar with his works.  At least when I was last there, admittedly it has been a while, they didn't seem to have much general information about him and really dwelt on "the Raven."  If Kids are involved the Children's musem of Richmond (for little ones mainly) or the Virginia Science museum are great for hands-on learning.  The Science Museum is in what once was Broad Street Station (Trains) and still has a lot of that represented.  Neat building from an earlier time.

One MAJOR Civil War related item I forgot to mention are the Freeman Markers.  Back in the 1920's a local historian founded an association to mark out all the important sites they could for the civil war.  They erected markers of stone and iron, all but one still exist, that formed the basis for the National Battlefield Park when it was established in the late 1930's.  Their efforts to preserve history have since become history in their own right.  These have great potential as a sort of Historical Scavenger hunt.  Here is a url to go to:  http://home.comcast.net/~freemanmarkers/index.html

I hope I was successful in making that a link.  Not my site, but pretty neat.

Close Window