View single post by Eric
 Posted: Tue Apr 25th, 2006 04:56 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Eric
$user_title

Mana: 

Hello again,

Just wanted to mention one other thing.  I read Sam's post and caught the part about Sword's casualty figures.  Not sure if Sam had done the math before me, but I stumbled across that point as I was completing my manuscript about a year and a half ago.  Frankly, I could not believe what I was reading.  Sword put the total Confederate casualties for the Tennessee Campaign (Spring Hill, Franklin, Nashville, and the retreat to Mississippi) at over 23,000.  Well considering Hood only had slightly more than 28,000 infantry and artillery effective for duty in early November and there were still over 18,000 effective at Tupelo in January 1865, it was clear something was up.  Granted Forrest lost some 2,000 from his cavalry during the campaign, but still the total casulaties were nowhere near 23,000.  Long story short is Sword totally bungled the prisoner numbers.  He counted Confederate wounded rounded up at Franklin following Nashville, over 3,800 of them, as both wounded and prisoners.  Well, as far as official counts are concerned, a man is either wounded or a prisoner.  One soldier cannot be counted as two.   Sword also tabulated several thousand men who were processed thru the Nashville provost marshal's office in Sept, Oct, and early Nov, which was before the Rebel army ever even left Alabama.  Total casualties for the campaign were in the neighborhood of 15,000, but again they were nowhere near the 23,789 figure Sword put forth. 

Close Window