View single post by Dixie Girl
 Posted: Fri Mar 7th, 2008 02:14 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

i know this might offend some people but i think this is something that needs to be thought about.

Why do we celebrate Martin Luther King Jr. day and not have a day to celebrate the American Indians? it does not seem right that we only celebrate the African Americans and not the American Indians. The Indians suffered just as much and more than African Americans did and yet they are always looked down upon as savage beasts.

These people suffered from the hand of the white man but yet i feel that the first Americans probably would not have made it without the help of the Indians. The showed them how to hunt, fish, and showed them how every part of a amimal had a use and a purpose.

What most people dont think about though is that the Indians were a big part in the forming of the United States. They fought in several wars to try to protect they land that was rightfully theirs and their families. Then the white man sent in soldiers to remove them from where they lived just like they were no better that the mud on their boots.

They suffered through the Trail of Tears and the Indian Removal Act of 1830. That was treatment that they should not have had to endure but they did anyway. Even after all that they fought in the Civil War. That was pointless bloodshed on their half but they thought that by taking a side they could better life for themselves and their famlies.

Personally i think they deserve a day of respect and rememberance. They deserve to be recognized for all the pain, suffering and death that came upon them just like the African Americans get. The American Indians are just as important to history as anybody else and its about time our Native American Ancestors get the respect and rememberance they deserve.