View single post by PvtClewell
 Posted: Mon Mar 17th, 2008 07:08 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
PvtClewell

Mana: 

According to Alan Nolan in his book 'The Iron Brigade,' the unit had 1,883 effectives on the morning of July 1, 1863.

By the end of the day, about 600 survivors were posted in the saddle of land between Culp's Hill and East Cemetery Hill. (There's a small IB marker there.) It was a hard day. What's that, about 65 percent casualties? Geez.

I'm guessing the distance between the Codori farm and the Lutheran Seminary is about 1.5 miles as the crow flies. Given they had to cross what was essentially the uneven ground of what would become Pickett's Charge and some up-slope running, I'd guess it would take about 15-20 minutes or so back in the day. But I don't know how fast double time is (Is it jogging? Faster?), and you might have to factor in an adrenaline rush as they head into combat, not to mention the urgency of the emergency they faced.

Even after they get to the seminary, they still have about a quarter-mile to cross to get to their posting in Herbst Woods.

For you to do it might take longer because you have to cross some areas of busy traffic as well as some private property, fences and who knows what else. But please report back when you do — I'd be curious as to how long it took you.

And this got me to thinking about their left-behind equipment. By the end of the day, after nearly eight hours of brutal combat, and still on alert at the base of Culp's Hill, I seriously doubt they were worried about recovering their backpacks and bedrolls. But I could be wrong.

Hey, maybe Pickett got 'em. Wasn't he at the Cordori Farm on July 3?

Bama,
According to Nolan, the Iron Brigade had 2,100 men at Brawner Farm in August, 1862, and that was for just four regiments. The 24th Michigan was added to the brigade at Fredericksburg.

Last edited on Thu Mar 20th, 2008 11:49 am by PvtClewell

Close Window