View single post by Shadowrebel
 Posted: Thu Apr 27th, 2006 01:29 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Shadowrebel

Mana: 

Javal,

And the Articles of this Confederation shall be inviolably observed by every State, and the Union shall be perpetual; nor shall any alteration at any time hereafter be made in any of them; unless such alteration be agreed to in a Congress of the United States, and be afterwards confirmed by the legislatures of every State.

Javal you forgot to bold the important part of Article XIII, And the Articles of this Confederation shall be inviolably observed by every State. The key part of your question is the Articles shall be inviolably observed.

Since there is no article in the AoC that stops the states from leaving the Union this article does not prevent them from leaving. Secession does not alter the perpetual Union nor does it alter any of the articles. You may have a perpetual Union with any number of states. Does a perpetual Union preclude adding more states? Meaning of perpetual: http://www.realdictionary.com/p/dir/perpetual.asp

1) s :occurring so frequently as to seem ceaseless or uninterrupted  2) s :uninterrupted in time and indefinitely long continuing  3) s :continuing forever or indefinitely

I believe that states leaving the Union would not alter the meaning of perpetual. The only way the perpetual Union would cease is by a Constitutional Amendment to form a new government.

The only way the AoC could be replace was by unanimous consent of the states. Since only nine states approved the Constitution when it was approved does this not make the Constitution an act of secession? If you think the Constitution was the law of the land in 1860 that makes the AoC a moot point in the arguement of secession.

One final point: Can you violate a law that does not exsist?

Thank you for your reply. I hope I have answered you question.

Shadowrebel

Last edited on Thu Apr 27th, 2006 01:52 am by Shadowrebel

Close Window