View single post by CleburneFan
 Posted: Tue Mar 18th, 2008 11:42 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
CleburneFan

Mana: 

BookLover, I have read your comments with great enthusiasm. The reviewer appeared to me so angry, so disgusted with Faust's book that I was reminded of Shakespeare's quote, "Me thinks thou dost protest too much."

He was particularly incensed at Faust's "false ideas" about how soldiers greeted death. He wrote as if he felt she had no right to comment on how soldiers felt about death, though her comments are based on letter soldiers wrote home or condolence letters written by friends, officer or hospital personnel about a deceased soldier they knew however briefly.

Yet the reviewer does not say why he is better qualified to judge how soldiers die or how they feel about death when they know they are soon to die or before a battle when they suspect they have a high probability of being killed. Is he ex-military with combat experience in Viet Nam, Kosovo, Irag, or elsewhere? If he is, why doesn't he just say so? Faust certainly takes pains to show where her information and theories come from...letters, diaries, newspaper accounts, officers' reports, etc....good primary research material.

Plus there is much more to Faust's book that the reviewer does not discuss. Is it because he agrees with those parts or is it because he didn't or couldn't make himslef read it because he was so angry with her entire presentation?

I'm not being "fawning" of Faust. If someone can write a reasoned, unemotional criticism of her research techniques or show examples of where she misinterpreted information or was outright wrong about why, for example, national cemeteries were created and why US Colored Troops were buried in segregated sections of those cemeteries then I will be very interested to read it.

Close Window