View single post by Don
 Posted: Wed Mar 19th, 2008 11:33 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Don

Mana: 

Hopefully this is of some assistance.

'Normal' or 'quick' time, then as now is time and a half. At double-time, they would have been moving about a mile every 15-20 minutes (some of those hills are pretty long going cross-country). Call it 35-40 minutes to the Seminary, I'm guessing. Remember, even without packs they would still be carrying rifles and ammunition. I'll leave it the reenacting smart folks to be exact, but I'd guess they were still carrying 25 pounds or so between uniforms and equipment. Can't recall the weights of rifles and 40 rounds or so per man.

After the fight I'm pretty certain they would have recovered their gear, or as much of it as possible. Their most important possessions, and their food for the day, would have been in those rucksacks. As j harold observed, veterans don't lose contact with their gear easily, as the supply wagons (or trucks these days) never seem to be nearby when you need stuff. As very experienced campaigners on a dozen or more battlefields by gettysburg, they would have known this. Honestly, I'm a bit surprised that they shed them in the first place.

Union regiments started at 1,000 men each (10 companies of roughly 100, plus HQ staff), then dwindled from there. For a unit that had fought as much as the Iron Brigade, the numbers sound pretty accurate. Remember, volunteer regiments for the most part didn't receive individual replacements. When more troops were needed, the state raised another regiment or two. After two years of casualties, disease and desertions, all five regiments would have been whittled down pretty well.

For more info on army regulations and the size of regiments and such, I recommend http://www.usregulars.com. He's done a fantastic job with the site, and there's a wealth of information there.

Close Window