View single post by kj3553
 Posted: Thu Apr 27th, 2006 02:50 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
kj3553
Born in the wrong century

Mana: 

As someone else who doesn't live close to the action, I have to say that I, too, have put off trips -- not just to Civil War battlefields (the closest of which are a good day's drive from where I live),  but shorter day trips that I used to take all the time. I shouldn't even get started on what appears to be deliberate manipulation of the price of gasoline -- from the speculators who jack up the price of crude every time someone burps, to the pathetic explanations used every time they want to raise the price of gas.

I'm not naive or stupid, and know full well that there are very real and very serious issues out there that have an impact on the cost of oil and how that is passed on to us, the consumers. But when I look back on how companies like Enron deliberately manipulated the energy market back a few years ago, and read these days of the absolutely obscene profits being made by the major oil companies, it's going to take a lot to convince me that there's not something fishy going on. But, it seems I've gotten off topic...;)

Bottom line? I put off a trip to Gettysburg and Antietam last year because of high fuel prices, and nope, I won't be doing much if any traveling this year, either.

~KJ

Close Window