View single post by Don
 Posted: Thu Mar 20th, 2008 11:21 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Don

Mana: 

At Joanie’s request, I’d like to start a “son of” the qualities of a great general thread and see if we can’t collectively narrow down a list of qualities that most of us can agree on. 

Important Note:  This is a “what” discussion, as opposed to the mostly “who” discussion on the other thread.  We’re not looking for who is and who isn’t, we’re looking for qualifiers that will help us make that decision --- which sounds as though it might be the “grandson of” thread….  :P

What I’ve attempted to do is go back and find the qualities listed in the previous thread.  I didn’t rule any out, so if I missed yours, please bring it back up.  In a few cases, I’ve attempted to consolidate the phraseology and group a few together.  Those who generated the idea are credited in parentheses at the end of each.  The words in caps are my suggestions for a group title.

No, Joanie, you don’t get the 16 leadership dimensions yet, that might spoil the discussion.   But we do need to set some sort of cap, as the discussion of the 1, 764 Attributes of a Great General (and the resulting discussions) would be a bit cumbersome.  As Dave Gorski noted, they aren’t all necessarily in play all the time or for every individual.  But I would submit that any list developed should mostly apply to most generals most of the time.

So, based on what was already listed in the previous thread, here’s what we currently have:

1. TENACITY (could also be focus)

persistence (David White)

Resolve(PvtClewell)

Decision Making - following through(Dave Gorski)

Persistence(Dave Gorski)
          Firm (Dave Gorski)

[size=Don't stop. NEVER stop until the goal is attained!] (CrazyDelawares)

courage of conviction(PvtClewell)

focus (HankC)

2. FLEXIBILITY

Resilience (David White)

an ability to successfully adjust their plans in the fog of war(PvtClewell)

Ability to adjust and adapt - situational and with new technology and methods (Dave Gorski)

[size=Adapt, improvise, if the situation requires it and always overcome.] (CrazyDelawares)

agility (HankC)

3. MOTIVATOR

an ability to inspire and maintain the confidence of their men(PvtClewell)

Ability to inspire action without coercion - confidence of men, trusted and respected(Dave Gorski)

High Energy(Dave Gorski)

4. CONSISTENCY

Some commanders were brilliant at one battle and dismal at another. (Dave Gorski)

5. COMMUNICATOR

Communication of policy and objectives - Military and political(Dave Gorski)

6. DECISION-MAKING

Ability to weigh what is to be gained vs. what is to be risked. (Dave Gorski)

[size=Establish the goal.] (CrazyDelawares)

7. AGGRESSIVENESS

Aggressiveness - of self and command(Dave Gorski)

Objective to win vs. trying not to lose - completness of victory with pursuit. (Dave Gorski)

initiative (HankC)

8. CALMNESS

Even Temperment - rational under stress(Dave Gorski)

9. COURAGE

Physical Courage(Dave Gorski)

Moral courage  (Dave Gorski)

10. PHYSICAL ABILITY

Physical Capacity (Dave Gorski)

11. VISION

Vision - recognition of big picture and your role in it. (Dave Gorski)       

[size=See the whole picture or Clarity of purpose.] (CrazyDelawares)

[size=strategic (overall) vision of the leader (Booklover)]

12. SELF-KNOWLEDGE

Recognition of limits - self and command(Dave Gorski)

Recognition of the merit of others - not jealous(Dave Gorski)

13. PLANNING/ORGANIZATION

Ability to gather and use resources - intelligence. (Dave Gorski)

Ability to make solid preperations. (Dave Gorski)   

14. PERCEPTION

Ability to recognize and use enemy leaders shortcomings against him. (Dave Gorski)

Realistic Expectations(Dave Gorski)

15. TACTICIAN

[size=tactical (in the heat of battle) actions.(Booklover) ]

Know How(Dave Gorski)

16. AUDACITY

risk (HankC)

Can be Bold - unpredictability(Dave Gorski)

17. Not Personal - attacks the enemy strategy(Dave Gorski)
18. imagination (HankC)
19. main effort ((HankC)
20. direction & control (HankC)
21. Success is not solely dependent on the accomplishment of others. (Dave Gorski)
22. Gallant(Dave Gorski)
23. Just(Dave Gorski)
24. Upright(Dave Gorski)

25. Experience(Dave Gorski)
26. Willingness to lead(Dave Gorski)
27. In Agreement with the character of the war - How is it to be fought? (Dave Gorski)
28. a benevolent biographer (Booklover)

29. good follower (Dave Gorski)

Again, if I left anyone’s ideas out, submit them, it wasn’t intentional.  Some of the individual entries may fit in one of the groups and I simply didn’t understand what you were saying.  Conversely, maybe some of the ones I grouped should stand alone.  But if I got it all right, what would we have to talk about?  :)

So do all of these belong?  Which ones need explaining?  Are there any missing that no one’s mentioned yet?  Let the discussions begin!

Close Window