View single post by JoanieReb
 Posted: Sun Mar 23rd, 2008 04:19 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
JoanieReb

Mana: 

While I think about what has to go....

...I will say, that especailly after having just made reference to it on the parent thread about an hour ago, this one has to stay:

10. PHYSICAL ABILITY

Physical Capacity (Dave Gorski)

It is figurative and literally (having made up all of grouping 10, hee-hee) in a class by itself.

Unlike in modern in times, disease and injury were so prevelant and took such a toll that for every one soldier whom died in battle, two died of disease.   Health and wholeness (literally) were vital (again, literally) to a commander's ability to perform well - and this was often seriously impeded by problems that could be either cured or compensated for fairly routinely in today's world. 

Think of Ewell, Hill, and at the most extreme, Jackson.

I recently read an account of Lee's concerns in early 1864 regarding the attrition of his officers.  Now, at that time, attrition in everything was concerning him (troops, supplies, munitions, real victories), but everytime he lost an officer to illness or injury, as well as death, he had only a shallow pool from which to replace un-replacable experience and spirit.  He became, towards the very end, notably dependent on John Gordon Brown, whom had never attended a military academy, but was a "talented amateur" whom had risen from the ranks.  JG Brown was seemingly indestructable (Hey, Private Clewell, I think you could do a clever remark relating him to The Unsinkable Molly Brown?), as those who recall his Sharps-tietam experience well know.

Last edited on Sun Mar 23rd, 2008 06:31 am by JoanieReb

Close Window