View single post by Eric
 Posted: Sat Apr 29th, 2006 01:23 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Eric
$user_title

Mana: 

At this time it remains unclear.  I know there is a push to keep it simple (which I agree with), perhaps a rail fence surrounding the property and a small marker.  Many want to keep it largely as green space for now.  The thinking behind this is that right across the street (Cleburne Street that is) a small strip mall exists, with a Domino's Pizza, a Mexican restaurant, and a beer/cigarette/snack shop.  Many in the community feel that if that property can be obtained a significant battlefield marker could then be erected, rather than forging ahead with just the old Pizza Hut property.  I agree with this train of thought (even if takes 5-7 years) because just east of the Domino's Pizza strip mall is an older house that is located where the Carter cotton gin stood.  Currently the Williamson County Heritage Foundation owns that house and is leasing it to either attorneys or CPAs.  That lease is over in less than 2 years and there is talk of then moving the house and try to erect a replica of the gin.  With that and hopefully the strip mall, as well as the Pizza Hut tract across the street, you would really have something going.

So it goes along step by step.  But hopefully the city won't go over overboard with the Pizza Hut property, put up something big, and then be content.  I'd like to keep the momentum going.  God knows it's been long enough.

Close Window