View single post by JoanieReb
 Posted: Sat Mar 29th, 2008 01:45 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
JoanieReb

Mana: 

"I can't verify it but perhaps they were playing the Jaunting Irish Car or the Irish Volunteer, thr former being the tune the Bonnie Blue Flag was based on and the latter a Federal tune set to the same melody."

Thank you, David.  I don't own a copy of the movie, so I did a google search to see if anyone else had thought it was the case, and I am not alone.  Here's one of a few comments on it:

* When the 54th is returning from its first battle and entering their camp, the Yankee camp band is playing the "Bonnie Blue Flag", which was closer to being the Confederate national anthem then the marching song, "Dixie." I seriously doubt that a Yankee band would play either, however, Lincoln after Lee's surrender asked the military band to play Dixie for him at the White House.

(http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-48488.html)

Even if one of the alternative tunes was playing, most people whom watch the movie would hear "Bonnie Blue Flag", so I think this was just a goof in the movie, or perhaps even someone's little joke:D.

Learning the origin of BBF was really interesting.  An Irish melody, I take it?  Who woulda thunk!

Last edited on Sat Mar 29th, 2008 01:55 am by JoanieReb

Close Window