View single post by Johan Steele
 Posted: Mon Mar 31st, 2008 05:49 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

susansweet wrote: I am very found of Bell Wiley's Johnny Reb. It was the first book I read in this latest journey though history. It still sticks to me when I read other books about the average soldier.

Newer books as I can't just do one, Shiloh by Cunningham and Stealing the General by Bond. I was reading them at the same time for two different groups. Couldn't put either down. I felt like I knew the men being written about in both books.
Susan

Susan gives a superb choice in Wiley's excellent work; I believe there is even a combined Life of Johnny Reb/Billy Yank in one volume available now.

I would also suggest either Hardtack & Coffee by Billing's or Watkin's Co Aytch.

For anyone interested in the firearms of the day I might suggest Edwards Civil War Guns or [size=Bilby's Civil War Firearms.]

[size=For the black soldiers experiance I would suggest: Glatthaar's Forged in Battle The Civil War Alliance of Black Soldiers and White Officers, or Trudeau's Like Men of War.]
[size=
For the tactics and the how of battles and campaigns either of  Griffith's excellent works: Battle In the Civil War Generalship and Tactics in America 1861-65, or Battle Tactics of the Civil War.

For the uniforms & gear: Coggins, Arms and Equipment of the Civil War,  Troiani's, Regiments & Uniforms of the Civil War, or Echoes of Glory.
]

Close Window