View single post by ashbel
 Posted: Mon Mar 31st, 2008 07:37 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
ashbel

Mana: 

I agree with David.  There is no reason why scanning a copyrighted book is OK I don't care whether it is for personal use or not.  The authors of these books put their talents, hours of research and analytical skills into creating a book.  They need to be compensated for their efforts.  It is hard enough for historians to make a profit on a book the way it is.  Allowing unauthorized copying of their work makes it even more difficult.

I also don't buy the argument that since you are a taxpayer in a state you are entitled to the unauthorized use of a state university database.   All state services are regulated by rules and laws that make them viable.  Obviously, you could not have unlimited access and use of all state facilities at all times just because you are a taxpayer.   We would have chaos. 

As a tuition paying parent of three recent graduates of state universities I can assure you your taxes do not cover university expenses.  I don't accept the argument that it is OK because a friend allowed you to use their access code of their own free will.  If you expect to use the service, pay the price.

Close Window