View single post by Richard Taylor
 Posted: Thu May 4th, 2006 04:18 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Richard Taylor

Mana: 

I agree that "overrated" was a poor word choice on my part. I still believe that some units get more coverage than they really should, so that might be a better way to phrase "overrated". Someone mentioned Jackson being god-like, which is very true. I think the same applies to some units like the Stonewall or Iron brigades. They are almost "god like". But I guess there isn't really any harm in that as long as the "underrated" get their due as well.

I agree 100% with the choice of J.C. Moore's brigade, but I am biased. My great-great-great grandfather fought and died in the 15th Arkansas, so obviously I have an affinity for that brigade. Bowen's division (which the 15th was in during the Vicksburg campaign) really deserves more coverage. Green's and Cockrell's brigades were excellent fighters and put in some remarkable performances. Alas, the relative obscurity of anything not related to the ANV/AOP prevents them from being well known, although I always feel some pride that Ed Bearss talks about Bowen's division in such glowing terms.

Close Window