View single post by javal1
 Posted: Mon May 8th, 2006 09:23 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

I tend to agree with Hank and Richard. The whole unde-rated/over-rated thing doesn't hold much water with me.

For example, how do you classify a unit such as my beloved 153rd PA? Both ny GG Grandfather and GG Uncle belonged to it. They were in 2 major battles - Chancellorsville and Gettysburg. At Chancellorsville they were one of only four regiments facing west, left to face Stonewall's assault practically alone. Never had a chance.

At Gettysburg they were the extreme right regiment of the entire Union line, and faced an assault by Ewell's entire division. Never had a chance, on top of being slaughtered by friendly fire trying to retreat. They had a commander who admitted hating them ( because they were of German/Dutch descent), so they were basically used as cannon fodder at both engagements. They're certainly not over-rated, and probably not under-rated. All I know is they had something that most of us in today's world don't. The guts to be in the thick of a brutal, heartless war. That's good enough for me.

Close Window