View single post by Scout
 Posted: Fri Apr 4th, 2008 11:09 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Scout

Mana: 

interesting point on the powers of presidents. i beleive his popularity among the common public and his decidedly unaristocratic development gave him the brass to push the presidential powers in ways not seen before and in some ways since.

being from Nashville i grew up getting a fair dose of old hickory. he was a great general though he distinguished himself mostly in the Creek War and Seminole Wars. And his famous victory came at New Orleans after the War of 1812 had ended. I believe the news reached the battlefield a few days late, right susan? (He was only a boy during the Revolution and i think served as a scout or courier)

I have to say that his dismissal of the Supreme Court ruling which the state of GA lost versus the Cherokee went too far and led to one of the most unfortunate in our many sad dealings with native americans. It was a case in which the Cherokee tried to abide by OUR laws, won, and then were still forced to leave.

but in other ways, particularly the Nullification Crisis he certainly did flex his presidential muscle, and his qualities as a leader are well documented.

Last edited on Fri Apr 4th, 2008 11:17 pm by Scout

Close Window