View single post by CleburneFan
 Posted: Sat Apr 26th, 2008 12:41 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Dixie Girl wrote: if yall could go anywhere in the world and do anything while you were there, where would you go and what would you do?

i would go to every island that i can think of by ship and hang out with all the locals. id relax and party and have a good time. only problem is when i got down there i wouldnt leave.

Dixie Girl, there is a fairly cheap way you can do a similar thing and come close to the experience you crave. Take Royal Caribbean's  Majesty of the Seas four-night cruise out of Miami during off season when the prices are lowest. That ship has port calls in Nassau, its fabulous private island Coco Cay and in Key West.

Both Coco Cay and Key West are tropical islands. In Key West you can hang out with the locals with no anxiety because they speak your language and use American currency. If you hurry you will not even need a passport, but that requirement kicks in soon and a passport will be required to travel on a cruise ship out of  US waters. Key West is such a cool ,neat , zany little city. It has Civil War history too. Its harbour was where the US Navy took all the captured blockade runners and their ships. 

Coco Cay is a piece of Paradise, so tranquil and the ocean water is jeweled shades of blue. The palm trees sway and there are hammocks to enjoy. The ship has a free beach barbeque.

Nassau is NOT what it used to be, a British-influenced outpost where several James Bond movies were filmed. It is much more commercial and "touristy" now, but a treat none the less, because you do get a taste of the tropical and British and Bahamian rolled into one.  

The ship is one of Royal Caribbean's smallest and oldest, but the crew is very friendly, the food is great and included in the price and the entertainment is spectacular given that it is on a ship and not land.

By the way, if you do find that one day you can visit some Caribbean tropical islands by ship, please let me know. I'll be happy to tell you what islands I find to be extra special and what ships are good bets. You can also visit the Hawaiian Islands by ship.

Last edited on Sat Apr 26th, 2008 12:45 am by CleburneFan

Close Window