View single post by Steven Cone
 Posted: Mon Jun 12th, 2006 11:02 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Steven Cone

Mana: 

The following is from the Tennessee Preservation Trust listserve:

Dear Listserve Members:

It is with great regret that I report that the c. 1853 National Register-listed Hiram Jenkins House in Murfreesboro was destroyed Saturday. I was told by a reporter just today that the demo permit was actually issued in mid-April. This weekend demolition comes just three days before local members of the "Save the Jenkin House" Committee and I were to meet with City Manager Roger Haley to discuss potential options for the property, and just over a week after the house was listed on the Ten in Tennessee endangered list. You may find a photo and a few details of the house at: http://www.tennesseepreservationtrust.org/ten Of the 50 properties listed since 2001, this is only the third to be lost.

While we had kept the name of the current owners out of our press releases, they are Roy and Char Yeager. Music fans will find it of interest that Mr. Yeager was the one-time drummer for the 1970s band the Atlanta Rythm Section. This property first came to our attention as threatened in the summer of 2003. At that time, we had a series of calls and letters to the owners after they had moved out of the home. In our correspondence of September 23, 2003, we asked to meet with the Yeagers to discuss ideas on how to save the property. The letter was never answered-- and the house apparently continued to remain unoccupied and deteriorating. We were encouraged that the property was/is being marketed as "subdividable" and that a strong local advocacy group was working to save the house.

In as much as something like this is a bitter loss for the state's heritage, it reminds us of why we must all continue to work hard-- and celebrate our successes along the way.

Patrick McIntyre
Executive Director
Tennessee Preservation Trust
P.O. Box 24373
Nashville, TN 37202
(615) 259-2289
http://www.tennesseepreservationtrust.org

Last edited on Mon Jun 12th, 2006 11:02 pm by Steven Cone

Close Window