View single post by CleburneFan
 Posted: Tue Jun 10th, 2008 01:55 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Just received Eric J Wittenberg, J David Petruzzi and Michael F Nugent's newest book One Continuous Fight: The Retreat from Gettysburg and the Pursuit of Lee's Army of Northern Virginia, July 4-14, 1863.

I've been waiting for this a long time. Seems like it was February when I pre-ordered it at Amazon. Turns out it is a good thing I did, because the first printing run is nearly sold out.

Now I have to confess at first that I had misgivings because just last year I had read another excellent, exhaustively researched book Retreat from Gettysburg: Logistics and the Pennsylvania Campaign by Kent Masterson Brown. This book was exceptional in my mind because it made the trials and tribulations of the quartermasters and subsistence men just come to life. It seems so much more "romantic," if you will, to read about battles and campaigns. I just never dreamed how much labor occupied those who plan and implement vital  military logistical needs. Without their contributions there can be no war. Brown's book taught so much about the nightmare of logistics during Lee's retreat from Gettysburg.

Now here comes yet another equally exhaustively researched book on Lee's retreat with his Army of Northern Virginia. This one has a different emphasis however. It promises to devote much time to Meade's delayed pursuit of Lee.  Brown's book definitely discussed Meade's response to Lee, but again from a logistical viewpoint.

An interesting feature of Wittenberg, Petruzzi and Nugent's book in the back are two driving tours. One traces the route of the Wagon Train of the Wounded. The other shows you how to trace the path of Lee's main army.  Both have GPS co-ordinates or odometer settings if you prefer. An earlier book by Wittenberg and Petruzzi about J.E.B. Stuart's skylarking march around the Union right on his way to Gettysburg Plenty of Blame to Go Around: Jeb Stuart's Controversial Ride to Gettysburg also has a driving tour that traced Stuart's march. That book made me a big fan of Wittenberg and Petruzzi, so I have high hopes for their newest book in collaboration with Nugent.

Now I have to get busy and read One Continuous Fight and will come here to report if these three writers have another winner. I'm confident that they do. 

Last edited on Tue Jun 10th, 2008 01:57 am by CleburneFan

Close Window