View single post by Bama46
 Posted: Thu Jun 19th, 2008 03:14 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Bama46
$user_title

Mana: 

TimK
sorry, but Lincoln did not free one single slave....The 13th ammendment did that after he was dead.

The Emancipation Proclimation exempted all slaves in lands controlled by the Union. The other lands were controlled by the Confederacy, a seperate country at that time and not bound by any piece of paper eminating from the US.
This is not opinion, this is fact... interestingly enough, even tho I have known this all my life, the authority I will cite is THE ABRAHAM PRESIDENTIAL LIBRARY AND MUSEUM, SPRINGFIELD, ILLINOIS. I have actually had a lot of fun listening to my yankee friends who go to the museum for the first time and then tell me all about how the Emancipation Proclimation was not at all what they had been taught... true story!

The EP was issued for 2 reasons...first in the hopes that there would be a slave uprising in the Confederacy...it did not happen
2nd to counter the pressure being put on France and England to recognize the CSA. .. That worked!

Joe asks who of Lincoln's opponents in the 1860 election could have done a better job of preserving the union and prosecuting the war...

Well, if we are going to "what if" then would the war even have been fought if Lincoln had not been elected?

IMO Lincoln's greatness is largely hindsight and a determination by the Radical Republicans to make him a Martyr and thus have a moral reason to do what they already planned to do which was to rape the south in what came to be called reconstruction.

Last edited on Thu Jun 19th, 2008 03:15 am by

Close Window