View single post by Johan Steele
 Posted: Thu Jun 19th, 2008 12:13 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

To me he was a politician, and a good one. He is probably the most villified president in our history. There is more propoganda out there about him than history. Those who hate him exaggerate what he did (ever try to find a list of the 300 papers he shut down? It doesn't exist; IIRC the number is only a half dozen or so.) or he's compared to Davis as the poorer President when Davis and the CS were much harsher on freedom and personal liberty. And on the other hand there are those who revere him, claiming he freed 4 millions from bondage. He didn't, the 13th Amendment did that. But he made the 13th possible. As to sainthood... the only people I see who claim that are those who despise him in an effort to further ridicule.

There is a lot of stuff out there on Lincoln, as much negative as positive. For instance it's possible to read that he was gay, was a phillanderer, was an atheist. It's also possible to read that he single handedly preserved the Union, created heaven etc. Stick around long enough and you'll see all of it and come to your own conclusions.

Mine is that he was a man w/ all the foibles and triumphs that come with being such.

Close Window