View single post by j harold 587
 Posted: Thu Jun 26th, 2008 12:51 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
j harold 587

Mana: 

You are 100% right Ken. No one wants to remember the Jackson of seven days. It is much easier to credit the tactics genius, the foot calvary and other glorious exploits. I do not wish to detract from the reputation of Jackson. Let's just look for a moment at the physical condition of the available troops. They had fought hard all day and marched about 20 + miles. Not that the boys in blue had a walk in the park, but retreating through a urban area is MUCH easier physically and mentally than pursuing a fleeing foe. If you have not done it trust me I would rather dig ditches all day than do two hours of urban pursuit.

Example of high state of emotion for southern troops would be the fatal shooting of a Union chaplain on the steps of the Lutheran church in town.  This is an example of having your blood up, but that is just a 19th century term for a highly emotional state.

Then once you clear the village those heigths have a lot of artillary on them and alot of troops. Your intell does not know if they are fresh troops or the Dutchmen who ran from the field. It is getting dark. Ewell made a decision. It is now history. I think he made the right choice. Apparantly General Lee agreed.

Close Window