View single post by cklarson
 Posted: Fri Jun 27th, 2008 07:05 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
cklarson

Mana: 

Dear Folks,

Would like to comment both on the artifacts and the kids.

RE: artifacts. Guess I was lucky that ca. 1985 when I visited Charleston, I bought a bullet for about $ .25 and it's now worth $9? Also the US belt buckle I bought for about $25 is now worth $350 or so, per Antiques Roadshow. As good as bullets though are your local dealers who might turn up Indian arrowheads--have one of those too, from WI.

RE: kids. I am a big fan of Supernanny, Jo Frost, even though I don't have children, but I used to do management training. Like in management, you find "the fish rots from the head down." The problem with the kids is usually really with the parents--mostly they don't know how to discipline their children who then become wild. This week Jo Frost, who's brilliant, dealt with 2 sisters, 11 and 13 or so, who had really turned almost violent toward each other and their mother. After Jo taught the mother how to discipline them (for older children, it's the "reflection couch" rather than the "naughty spot"), what the problem also turned out to be was, to my mind, that these teenagers were just down right bored to death, so they turned their frustration into anger toward each other and their mother whose relationship to them previously was mostly to constantly tell them what not to do, with little other conversation. Anyway, Jo got the girls to make an "English garden" on their deck. Well, the girls loved it; they were proud of themselves for creating colorful flower pots and a garden, and had worked nicely and cheerfully together.

What I'm saying is that it's really good to see parents here talking about getting their kids interested in the CW. What I've seen is that between ages 7 and 14 kids need things that are tangible and fairly easy to comprehend. For me it was also the Civil War, my interest piqued by stories of girl slaves escaping via the Underground RR and cavalry, etc., at a time that the Civil Rights movement was also beginning. So both seemed to go together. And wars, as in just battles, are easy to comprehend--there are winners and losers, heroes on both sides, and often the best of humanity is brought out, as well as the worst. I think we've lost this tangibleness in becoming an urban nation. I will never forget the look of sheer adoration I saw on the face of a 7 year old boy on PBS's "Frontier House" as his father taught him how to fish. But on Supernanny there are scenes where 7 year olds beg their parents to play with them and they refuse (which is pointed out strongly by Supernanny). So hooray for our parents and their kids!! And don't dismiss girls' interest--teach them how to cook over a camp fire, ride horses, first aid. It's the things we learn as kids that we remember the most in life.

Congrats to the parents! Hope I haven't "shared" too much.

CKL

Close Window