View single post by cklarson
 Posted: Sat Jun 28th, 2008 05:47 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
cklarson

Mana: 

Dear Mike et al.,

Thanks for the thanks. I aim to please.

My "sharing" verb was adopted from a friend who severely broke her ankle and left a long message describing her condition on her office phone tape while she was out on disability. Her boss told her he thought she had "shared" too much--which cracked me up. But it's a good verb, like with "interesting" -- it can cover many tricky scenarios.

After reading your reply, the obvious dawned on me: that I should recommend my vry favorite childhood book that is still in print: Harold Keith's Rifles for Watie -- I think it's rated for 9-12 year olds. It was a Newberry Medal winner. Part of its appeal is that it covers accurately the Trans Mississippi, particularly the split within the Cherokee tribe. Stand Watie was their guerrilla leader.

But I have also always loved horses and the best author is Marguerite Henry, again, still in print: Justin Morgan Had a Horse (set in colonial VT), King of the Wind (Morocco), Black Gold (thoroughbred racing), Misty of Chincoteague (MD), Born to Trot (Hambiltonian harness race). Great books and the original hard backs had extraordinary color plate illustrations.

A little off track recommendation also is: Witch of Blackbird Pond, based on 17th cent. events in Wethersfield, CT, now a suburb of Hartford (where Harriet Beecher Stowe and Mark Twains homes are) -- a historic colonial town that's better than Williamsburg (and no huge fees), 100+ colonial dwellngs plus 2 17th cent. ones (with a witch story), a museum, fabulous colonial brick church, and 2 historic tour houses (Silas Deane, minister to France).

So that's some more history for the kids.

CKL

Close Window