View single post by MAubrecht
 Posted: Fri Jun 23rd, 2006 02:38 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
MAubrecht

Mana: 

Actually Hank, that area is a major focal point of the battle. BUT more importantly - it has yet to be violated - which is VERY rare.

The "big deal" is the fact that this area is one of the last remaining "untouched" sites in the 'burg. It is far enough away from the city proper - and far enough away from the main thoroughfares, that it has managed to "escape" the plague of urban sprawl that is spreading and infringing on all 4 of our battlefields. Its not a tourist attraction by any means, and w/ the exception of a road marker - most people would never know its anything of value. To describe it would be to say that its along a "lesser-traveled route" that parallels the major roads. That is why I think the local experts and we residents are so concerned about this one. Its one of the last remaining battlefields that has yet to be touched by commercial development. I may not be communicating that as well as I should - I guess you have to live here in Fredericksburg to witness the never-ending battle we have with urban-sprawl and land development. I personally drive past 3 major CW sites and 5 MAJOR construction sites on my way to work everyday. Thousands and thousands of cleared acres where there used to be trees and millions of square feet in shopping centers and strip malls going up as I type this. It infuriates me at times - and I think that is the general consensus in regards to the Slaughter Pen.

FLS Quote about the Pen: The fighting through Fredericksburg, with its carnage at Marye's Heights, is etched in the nation's collective memory. But the rest of the story played out farther south on and around the farm, where Confederate Gen. Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson's 2nd Corps battled Union Gen. William Franklin's Left Grand Division. At one point, half the Confederate army was concentrated along the railroad tracks southwest of the property, waiting for the Union attack across the farm. In some of the most desperate fighting of the day, Union forces under George Meade and John Gibbon punched through Confederate lines for a time before being driven back by Southern reinforcements. Historians estimate that of the 9,000 men killed or wounded on the southern end of the Battle of Fredericksburg, 5,000 met their fate on the farm that would become known as the Slaughter Pen.

Hope that helps. I have a vested interest, and believe me, the Battles of Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Spotsylvania, and the Wilderness are far from over - they are still being fought... in the courtrooms and at city council meetings.

Last edited on Fri Jun 23rd, 2006 02:53 pm by MAubrecht

Close Window