View single post by cklarson
 Posted: Sun Jul 20th, 2008 05:07 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
cklarson

Mana: 

Dear All,

Someone wrote about Grant that he was just "sincere, appllied thought." As I remember, he never consulted staff on a major decision (which may not always be the best). He wrote clear, precise orders and even while he was doped up on cocaine, dying of throat cancer, wrote memoirs so clear that you don't even need maps to follow what was going on (thankfully because the book maps are atrocious).

I think this deep concentration was the reason he was not successful in business. In business you have to be outside your head. Grant was inside his head. Plus by the time he got back from the West in the 50s, a lot of the good land and business opportunities in IL and MO were already sapped up, as advertisements for years ahd been luring young men West with promises of great fortunes to be made and 40 percent of farmers in IL were tenants.

But one of the best descriptions of Grant is taken from the journal of a young 59th IL LT Chesley Mosman. He begins by saying that with Grant and Sherman campaigning changed. There were no more 3-6 month lulls between battles, which he facetiously stated the generals desired so victories would be duly "appreciated" by the public. Then:

"But this 'crazy Sherman' and 'Bulldog Grant' go at it like a man at a day's work, as
long as there is anything in sight to do they are up and doing as though 'hired by the the job.' They don't seem to care about clean clothes, but require clean guns."

A real classi comment. Cracks me up.

CKL

Close Window