View single post by ArtorBart
 Posted: Wed Jul 23rd, 2008 07:31 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
ArtorBart

Mana: 

BloodyBob64...

What time period are you talking about for naming this southern leader in the west? It may limit who we could pick from the eastern theater. For example, William Dorsey Pender was considered a fine leader, but he died at Gettysburg, July 1863. Thomas Cobb left the scene at Fredericksburg Dec.1862. Are you thinking about when Bragg was ousted and Hood inserted? So, instead of Hood, who would we consider in 1864?

Allegedly these guys had personalities that made them human porcupines: Richard Taylor and Edmund Kirby Smith. But all I remember is that they were pretty good organizers, leaders, and fighters. They seemingly were relegated to the Confederate States hinterlands and forgotten only 'til their signatures were needed on the surrender papers.

Why the gulag treatment for these guys? Did they want it that way? More troubles with Jeffn. Finis Davis? I'm not at all familiar with the interplay.

Taylor performed very well with Stonewall in the 1862 Shenandoah Valley campaign, then -- POOF! -- he was gone. Believe he did a good job during the Red River campaign, but since he was fighting against Banks {again}, possibly more could have been done by Taylor's guys against the Union.

Kirby Smith, I believe, did pretty well until his non-cooperation with Bragg in Kain-tuck fall of 1862. His bristly personality eventually became evident and he got ignored, maybe on purpose?

Hardee, it seems, didn't want the responsibility maybe because he still would have had to work under Bragg {who was in Richmond}. That certainly would have cramped Hardee's style {if he had a style!}.

James Longstreet's lethargic/reluctant nature became evident July 1863 and later at Lookout Mtn. and Knoxville. With a larger department to care for, could he have handled all that goes with it? He couldn't even manage what he was given in those two smaller commands. APHill and Ewell I wouldn't want; they were on their last legs as is was. Early would have been kept east to replace one of those two guys.

Somebody mentioned, I believe, John Brown Gordon; not too shabby! Not much corps-level experience when he'd have been needed out west.

John Breckenridge, former US veep {good executive material?}, didn't seem all that capable in the field and may have had temper troubles with Davis, I cannot recall for sure.

Cleburne, like our current-day Obama, didn't have the executive experience needed for a top-slot position.

A.P. Stewart has always intrigued me, but have not read very much at all about him.

I won't even mention Polk...oops, I just did, sorry.

Will have to leaf through my "Generals in Gray" and "More Generals in Gray" tonight.

ArtorBart

Last edited on Wed Jul 23rd, 2008 08:35 pm by ArtorBart

Close Window