View single post by susansweet
 Posted: Thu Jul 24th, 2008 08:25 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
susansweet

Mana: 

Izzy good tool you were taught in College.  I had a professor in my senior American History Research class that has us read a book actually on the Civil War and then discuss it in class.  When we were hot and heavy in the discussion he asked if knowing who  the historian that wrote the book would make a difference in how we looked at the book?  The book was the Militant South by John Hope Franklin.  He then explained that Franklin was a black historian writing on the South.  Since that time I always look up something about the author of the book I am reading so I know something about his point of views as I read the book.   I still have the Franklin book .  Last year I actually saw the place where Franklin was born as I was headed to Honey Springs Battlefield in Oklahoma. 

Amazing how some of the things we were taught in college stick with us.  My high school history teacher I swear rides with me on my travels and says this is important stop and see this .  He was a real lover of history and taught so many of us to love it too.  I even had Joe Cannon Bean soup in the Congressional Dining room in DC one time because he told us we had to do that if we were ever had the chance to eat in the Dininig room.  My cousin who worked for a Congressman took me .  She didn't even know the story and it was printed on the back of the menu.  By the way the soup was wonderful.  Thank you Mr. Rozelle and yes he was Pete Rozelle's Uncle

Susan

Close Window