View single post by pamc153PA
 Posted: Sun Aug 3rd, 2008 01:23 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Ed,

My guide and I came onto Culp's Hill from the Stevens Knoll side. He knew where to pull off by finding a couple different monuments, then crossing the road and finding a path. I'd say we walked straight up the hill about halfway between the road and Culps' Hill observation tower. There were few landmarks; that side's not as full of boulders as the Spangler's Spring side. He was counting off paces as we walked a faint path, and we had to keep detouring around downed trees; apparently, the park service fells trees across paths to deter people (like us, or probably more like teenage partiers) from walking back into the woods.

When we finally got there, it was really hard to see the pit at first, under the leaves and all, but we walked the edge of it, about 5 by 10 yards, and it was vaguely rectangular, and about two feet deeper than the surrounding ground. There were a couple blazes on nearby trees to mark it, and someone had actually trekked back there to plant several small Confederate flags. According to my guide, this was one of two pits John Burns showed to dignitaries visiting the battlefield several years before his death. I'm guessing it was an easier climb about 140 years ago.

Like most of Culp's Hill, it was REALLY quiet there. Part of that's because almost no one goes there as compared to the rest of the battlefield. But somehow it felt like more. Of course, you KNOW as you walk any battlefield that men fought and died on the ground under your feet, but this was so secluded and almost pristine that it was more real to me. It didn't matter if it was Confederate or Union men.  Nothing creepy or spooky, just very real.

To be honest, I couldn't get you there again, but it was by far one of the coolest things I've seen on the field in a long time!

Pam

Close Window