View single post by pamc153PA
 Posted: Fri Aug 8th, 2008 05:29 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Tim,

I agree with your second point (your second of two cents!). I'll be the first to admit that, if you give me a chance, I'll try to find a connection for just about ANYTHING to the Civil War! But most of us (should I guess all of us?) who contribute to these discussions feel a lot the same way. I have to keep reminding myself not everyone wants to know everything about the Battle of Gettysburg or the CW in general. If a family from Anywhere USA comes to Gettysburg on their vacation even for a day, that's a plus, and the new VC does a decent job of giving an overview of a part of history so they might leave with a bit more knowledge of it. I'll admit, I was that tourist once: seeing my family name unexpectedly on the PA Monument was what got me "hooked!"

On a related subject--I subscribe to The Civil War News, and this month's edition spends the first three pages of letters to the editor (including a defensive one from Supt. Latschar) letting people vent/complain about the new VC. I thought it was pretty over-the-top and not particularly objective for the CWN, which I usually tend to agree with. Most of the letters are from people who know a lot about the battle/war, and want the VC to be geared to their needs, not the casual visitors'. I think that those of us "in the know" about the CW know where to go--like these discussions, for example--and don't expect the VC to be what it wasn't meant to be.

I think I added a couple of cents to yours!

Pam

Close Window