View single post by CleburneFan
 Posted: Thu Aug 14th, 2008 01:13 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Some quick thoughts grabbed from "The life of Union General Hugh Judson  Kilpatrick" by Samuel Martin.

1. General Sherman did not attend Kilpatrick's grand reunion for Civil War veterans that he hosted at his New Jersey farm on August 1887. Page 230

2. James H Wilson, cavalry division commander of the Army of the Potomac, questioned Sherman about whether Kilpatrick was qualified for the important  role he occupied in the Atlanta campaign. Sherman replied, "I know [that] Kilpatrick is a hell of a damned fool , but I want just that sort of a man to command my cavalry on this expedition." Later, however, Sherman that the slur was used because...that was what a good many of [my] officers were in the habit of calling [him]. Page 192

3. When Kilpatrick was relieved of duty after the disgraceful Dahlgren raid on Richmond, it was Sherman who gave him a reprieve and offered him a command in the his Atlanta campaign. Pages 235 & 236.

4. Sherman openly praised Kilpatrick for his performance in North Carolina in 1864, but in private warned him about his scandalous involvement with girls such as  Marie Boozer.  Page 226.

My own personal impression is that Sherman did eventually feel quite embarassed by Kilkpatrick's shananigans.  I do wonder, however, if Sherman would have been more tolerant if KIlpatrick had been more effective, say, on the calibre of J.E.B. Stuart.

Last edited on Thu Aug 14th, 2008 01:16 am by CleburneFan

Close Window