View single post by pamc153PA
 Posted: Mon Aug 25th, 2008 11:37 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
pamc153PA

Mana: 

My father was severely wounded by a drunk driver who ran a red light a few miles from my parents' home. It completely changed the course of his life, and the lives of my mother, sister and I in ways you wouldn't imagine unless you went through it. The man whose car hit my father's truck suffered a broken jaw and had 3 prior DUIs, while my father had to have brain surgery, had a broken arm, leg, and nerve damage to his left leg that left him needing to use a leg brace, knee brace and now use a cane. When I think about how his life could have been different, it makes me intensely sad.

I've been reading lately there is a push to raise the punishment for drivers who run red lights and cause accidents, drunk or not. The average punishment now is a fine of about $300 and maybe community service. I am all for increasing the punishment for driving drunk by itself, but I think this other facet, too, must be addressed.

My father's accident has taught me some good things, too, about the kindness of people and how life can take unexpectedly good turns as well as bad, but I would have rather had learned that some other way.

Pam

Close Window