View single post by kj3553
 Posted: Sun Sep 25th, 2005 02:19 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
kj3553
Born in the wrong century

Mana: 

I was born in '53, and remember all those programs you mentioned, especially Rin Tin Tin. :D My interest in the Civil War grew out of my mother's love of history. Whenever we took a family vacation, we'd camp somewhere near a body of water so my Dad could go fishing, and Mom could take my sister and I to any historical sites that were within driving distance. The first Civil War site I was taken to (but of which I have no recollection, as I was 3 years old), was Chickamauga. Over the years we visited just about every major and many minor battle sites, but I knew I was finally learning something when I no longer had to ask my mother, "Which side won this battle?"

The event that really turned the corner for me was the movie Gettysburg, when my interest went from casual to intense. My Dad had passed away, and I thought it would be fun for Mom and I to visit Gettysburg again. So we took a long weekend and drove there. That weekend, after touring the battlefield, we went downtown to see the Gettysburg movie which was playing there. The rest, as they say, is history...

Oh, and I know several WW2 and Korean War vets who are interested in the Civil War and are members of the CWRT I belong to.

~KJ

Close Window