View single post by Shadowrebel
 Posted: Mon Jul 10th, 2006 05:14 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Shadowrebel

Mana: 

I am trying to understand why people who are into the Southern aspects of the civil war try to convince others that Northerners have rewritten history.  Can they just not get over the fact that the stronger of the two nations took the road paved to victory?  I respect the South, but dislike the bitterness that goes along with it.  What is the reason for this?
Javal,

This is the original post that I took as asking why the South was bitter, I do not think I got the question wrong. If I did my mistake.

As for slavery being as good or better than Negroes after the war I never said that, only that one of the things that make the South bitter is the North claim that because they ended slavery and passed the Civil Rights Act of 1866 the Negroes had it far better and were treated far better. They were treated marginal better and had no where near the rights the North claimed and in fact could not settle in many Nothern areas. No they did not have it  as bad, but only sightly better. Freedom without the rights and privilages of the free is still a form of slavery.

I repeat my stance that slavery in any form is and was wrong and not worth fighting for according to our modern thinking. Remember there was a completely different way of thinking for a long time, no it was not right then either. Just the way it was. I agree with your progress.

I hope I have clarified my thoughts.

Thanks

John

Last edited on Mon Jul 10th, 2006 05:16 am by Shadowrebel

Close Window