View single post by Shadowrebel
 Posted: Mon Jul 10th, 2006 11:03 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Shadowrebel

Mana: 

HankC,

You can not have "plageriasm" when discussing historical events that are a matter of public record. Where did I say I "love to hate" what is taught about Lincoln?

As for the "Great Emacipator" and "Honest Abe" both are well known nicknames attached to Lincoln. For a textbook try Ordeal by Fire, The Civil War and Reconstruction page 320-321 "Fellow citizens, we cannot escape history....The fiery trial through which we pass, will light us down, in honor or dishonor, to the latest generation....The dogmas of the quiet past, are inadequate to the stromy present....As our case is new, so we must think anew, and act anew....In giving freedom to the slave, we assure freedom to the free.... We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country. (Basler, Works of Lincoln, V, 537) the textbook is used in Civil War classes at the college level and is written by James M. McPherson, You may have heard of him, I think he is a Pulitzer Prize winning author and a Professor Emeritus, at Pinceton University. I would think he knows a little about the Civil War and Reconstruction, don't you. I am not going to go out and lookup every textbook in the world since no matter what I provide you, in my opinion based on what you have said so far, you will never be satisfied. I will stand by McPherson and we both know what is taught and has be taught in the past about Lincoln.

You still have not responded to: Now you answer my question you seem unwilling to. Are the historical facts correct? You seem to imply that they are not so, your expert rebuffing of them would be of interest and make you one of the great historians of all-time.

Since you will not respond I guess you have no response and only seem to want to make fun of what I wrote unless you respond to the question I will not long be addressing you replies. I have no more time to deal with a ........whatever. So either answer the question and if the answer is no, document it or get off my back.

Shadowrebel

Close Window