View single post by pamc153PA
 Posted: Sat Aug 30th, 2008 01:56 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Hi folks!

Many of you already know that I'm a teacher. Next week, my district returns to a new school year. I've been thinking about the year coming up, and I have a question for those of you who care deeply about the Civil War (I think that's pretty much everybody here!):

What one thing (or more, if you're so inclined) would you like kids to know about the CW?

I teach 8th and 9th grade students and also run the Civil War club (surprise, surprise!). I know you are mostly NOT teachers, but in a way, you know, we ALL are teachers because we love the subject, and will talk about it whenever and to whomever we can, and go out of our way to help those who have shown even a glimmer of interest. I have managed to work a lot of Civil War into my English curriculum, but I'd be interested in finding out your ideas--the "experts!"

I'd appreciate hearing from any and all, especially those of you who are inclined to Southern perspectives (I'll admit, as a Northerner, I'm woefully inadequate in that, but willing to accept help!), and those of you who are still students. If you're like me, what I learned about the CW in school was pretty thin, and there are so many bigger issues kids can take away from the study of it.

Thanks in advance!

Pam

Close Window