View single post by Wrap10
 Posted: Sun Aug 31st, 2008 02:52 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Wrap10

Mana: 

Bama46 wrote: Clearly these names were not in existance at the time of the battle, but it has been my understanding that the "names" were given by the old soldiers afterwards. If I am wrong, I apologize for that and only that error.

As an aside, while ths sunken road is noy nearly so pronounced as at Antietam, I believe it is indeed "sunken"..ie cut below the surrounding terrain.
I can point to many similiar examples in NW Alabama, about 10 miles upstream from Pittsburg landing.

Ed

Ed,

On the Sunken Road at Shiloh, to be honest, if the name did not already exist, I don't think it would occur to me while walking along it. A bit lower than the surrounding terrain in areas, but not anything that strikes me as very significant.

The other theory I've heard about the origins of the name comes from a Confederate account written shortly after the battle. But some historians - I think Larry Daniel for sure - seem to think he may have been describing a different road, as it appears he never actually saw the 'sunken road' along which the Union defenders were located, that now bears that name.

Perry

Close Window