View single post by Wrap10
 Posted: Mon Sep 1st, 2008 09:38 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Wrap10

Mana: 

Tom,

I haven't made it down yet to the new interpretive center in Corinth since they opened it,  but if I can make it to Shiloh again next April I'm going to try and visit Corinth and see that new center. I've heard a lot of good things about it.

On Wiley Sword, his book is my favorite one on the battle. Even with all the detail, he does such a marvelous job of adding a human touch to everything. I imagine it's a balancing act of sorts to do that, but he pulls it off with no visible effort at all. He takes what could easily be a dispassionate story of troop movements and battle lines, and makes it far more human, and very poignant.  Whenever I recommend the book to others, I usually say that instead of being filled with facts and figures, it's filled with facts, figures, and faces.

I know that there has been a lot of buzz surrounding the release of Cunningham's book, and rightfully so. His writing style is very similar to Sword's, at least to me, in that you can tell the story for him wasn't just about "armies," but about people. It's a great book. Ditto for Larry Daniel's book. But for me personally, Sword was the one who first opened my eyes to the fact that there was far more to Shiloh than just the Hornet's Nest. His book was also where my image of Benjamin Prentiss started to get a bit tarnished, and where I first learned about what Everett Peabody had done. He turned out to be quite a "teacher" for me in that regard.

Perry

Close Window