View single post by olemiss50
 Posted: Tue Jul 11th, 2006 09:14 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
olemiss50

Mana: 

Jessie,

In the issue of slavery lies the most misunderstood part of our history.  Slavery has its roots deep into American history.  Due to the outcome of the Civil War, the issue of slavery and the evils it possesses has been ditched on the southern slave states.  Further research on slavery will reveal a different picture, such as northern slave traders and northerners profiting off of southern slavery, etc.  I have only begun my research on slavery in the western hemisphere, but the more I look into it, the more I realize how the south is getting a raw deal.  A picture of a "free" north where freed blacks were welcome with open arms and a ruthless south where slaves were whipped daily has evolved.  I have been able to come up with this so far.  All of America (not only the US, but essentially the entire world) is guilty of slavery.  North and south are both guilty.  It just so happened that slavery was still economically a good decision in the south as opposed in the north by the beginning of the 19th century.  It is a matter of timing.  Like you said, we have to put ourselves into the 19th century to fully understand the issues of the time.  The reality of slavery in American has been skewed and completely dumped on the south.  Most people forget that our founding fathers were slaveowners and at the same time brush to the side the fact that many Confederate generals were opposed to slavery.  In no way can we defend slavery, but we can take a deeper look into the issue and realize there is much more to the story than is being told.  A very interesting piece of history that is also overlooked is black Confederates.  I'll save that for another time.  For me personally, it boils down to the fact that I want to be able to be proud of the Soldiers in my family without being labeled a racist and a pro-slavery man.  Unless the entire story is told and bias removed, that will be impossible.  Americans, and any country at that, tend to overlook pieces of their history that make them or their wars look bad or unjustified, and I cannot blame them. 

I look forward to the day when the Unionist and Confederates can both agree on the true history.

-Jake

Close Window