View single post by martymtg
 Posted: Fri Sep 5th, 2008 09:58 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
martymtg

Mana: 

I don't believe the South would have remained one country. Remember, they were fighting for STATE's rights, not the Confederacy as a whole.

Lee said, "If Virginia secedes, I must go with her." He didn't say, "I must go with the Confederacy." He was on record as being against secession, as many of the southern officers were.

And we can't ignore the elephant in the room. Slavery had to end sooner or later, regardless of who won the war. Now, would ALL the southern states agree upon this all at the same time? Not likely. So the hard core pro-slavery states would now have to split from the ones that weren't as dependent upon slave labor and had decided to abolish. 

Even after that, if they all somehow stayed together through what would have to be a slow and agonizing dissolution of slavery, (which may well have set up a series of smaller wars), how would the south transition from farming to industry? As far as I know, the railroad network of the south was not nearly as accomplished as in the north. How much more would they now have to charge for the cotton and tobacco crops now that they had to actually PAY the work force?

I just don't see it.

Marty

Close Window