View single post by Wrap10
 Posted: Sat Sep 6th, 2008 12:22 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Wrap10

Mana: 

My first book on the war was a kid's book that originally belonged to my sister and was passed along to me in the late 60's. It was called The Golden Book of the Civil War. I've still got it.

At the time, I was already interested in history and especially about the Old West, and anything to do with Kit Carson and mountain men. That book sparked my interest in the war, but it was on family visits to Chattanooga, Tennessee, where I was really pulled in. The entire area had an effect, but it was Lookout Mountain and the old Confederama that really did the job. I'm convinced that God created Lookout Mountain for the express purpose of transfixing kids.

The next Civil War spot I got to visit was Shiloh, in the early 70's. It had the same effect on me as Lookout Mountain. From that moment on, I was permanently hooked. Oddly enough, I started getting interested in the war about the time that general interest in it was on the downswing, following all the attention it got leading up to and during the centennial years. So I like to joke that I was Civil War when Civil War wasn't cool. With apologies to Barbara Mandrell.

Perry

Close Window