View single post by ole
 Posted: Sat Sep 6th, 2008 10:12 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
ole

Mana: 

Anyone who knows the name of the commanding officer please help me out here.

It was the much beloved Hugh Judson Kilpatrick.

This almost makes it sound as if trying to break the Union center was maybe the best of very limited options, right? He can't very well head north for the same reasons that he can't march south. Should he have sent more than just the 12,000 or so that came so close to breaking thru?

Long ago and far away, someone made a suggestion that made a good deal of sense. I don't know if it will work for you or not, but you might try it on. It goes like this:

Lee can't very well just go away on that third day, given that he has never retreated in the face of an enemy. And (here's the thoughty part) if he does go away, he has at least four Union Corps biting at his heels and higher dorsal parts. So he simply must give Meade some wounds to lick while he makes his getaway. This sounds logical.

Okay. Let's say he broke the center (he almost did). What does he do then? He has half the Union army on one of his flanks and the other half on the other flank. It's possible that both halves run like hell back to Washington, but it's not something an army commander would bet on heavily.

So, you see, I like the idea that he had to give Meade some wounds so he could get away.

That's probably a bit far-fetched, but hey, I'm still learning.

Close Window