View single post by William Posey
 Posted: Mon Jul 17th, 2006 10:44 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
William Posey

Mana: 

As far as I've been able to determine, two of my ancestors had one slave each. One of these ancestors was a Unionist, the other, Confederate.

My Unionist ancestor freed his slave, Bob, before the War. However, Bob stayed on living with the family and working around the homeplace as well as in outside jobs. Even when he was a slave, he worked at times at outside jobs. Whether he kept the money earned outside during his slave days is unknown. Bob died in 1879 and is buried with his former master and family in the church cemetery.

My Confederate ancestor kept his slave until the end of the War, but Abe stayed on with the family until his death many years later.

This was not universal, of course, but it is my family's experience with slaves. In both cases, the relationship was much deeper than master/slave; there was two-way love and commitment.

Each slave took his respective master's surname as his own.

Bob did not marry and had no children, but Abe married and had children. His descendants today speak highly of their ancestor's master. One of them has had some health and financial problems lately and has been helped by several descendants of Abe's master.

So, there is still today a continuing relationship.

Close Window