View single post by Johan Steele
 Posted: Fri Sep 12th, 2008 12:22 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

44th VA INF wrote: For over a 100 years our country has debated on why it went to war with its self many have debated on wat the causes of the war were many in the south said the was an attack on tradion and hertiage while otheres say the war was thought to for state rights other have said that the south was not going to let a tyrant in washington rule since they did not let a king london rule them

I am in 7th grade and we will be studing the war later in the year I have read over that section already and have noticed many mistakes in the book wkhich i find insulting to cause on how it focues on very on the earlie years of the war it basically go staright to uion victories in the kater years of the war they also say tht battle of sharps burg ''Atimean'' was a uion victorie it also exolains little on why we thought i manly starts about the slavery debate in the western terrtiories i bearly talk on how are rights as staes as were called in to question.

My Teache knows how i have a passion for studing the war and has asked me if i would like to teach part of the lesson i would like to use my own books and knowlge rater than that book well i would like to here ya thoughts on what i should do

When I was in the 7th grade I knew everything... now thirty odd years later I know exactly how ignoarant I am.  Between now and 19... oh my god do I feel old, I've literally read thousands of books with several hundred being on the subject of the Civil War.  Why do you know the things you think are wrong are wrong?

My own textbooks in school had almost no reference to the CW, IIRC there was maybe a couple pages w/ the Gettysburg Address being the highlight.  Having seen another more recent 7th Grade textbook recently it doesn't look like it has changed much.

Something that sticks out to me is your claim that Lincoln was a Tyrant?  Why do you believe that?  Who told you and why?  The CS created itself and began beligirent actions well prior to Lincoln taking office.  Almost every charge, and more,  of Lincolns Tyranny can also be leveled against Davis.  Yet Lincoln is the only tyrant in US history?  Doesn't that make you want to why?

There are those who would say the only attack on "Southern Heritage" is an attack on slavery.  And that the only States Rights being threatened were the States Rights of Slavery and in reality that was at best an implied threat.

Antietem/Sharpsburg was a US victory... Lee quite the field and conducted a withdrawel.  It was certainly not a CS victory unless you consider the fact that Lee managed to keep his army from being destroyed.

Why do you think that Davis memoirs can be picked apart by a competant, even amatuer, historian?  To a degree someone can do the same with Grant?  Their autobigraphies are both relatively self serving.  But when I think about the two memoirs I'm reminded that Mark Twain offered to, and did assist a very ill Grant with his.  Grant was well liked by his men... Davis was largely despised by the men in the field and he was not what anyone would call an effective leader.  Yet Davis is idolized by those who worship the CS Cause.  Why?

I teach something like 5000 students a year about one aspect of the CW, the men who actually did the fighting.  Not the journalists and newspapers who wrote about or the wannabes and staybehinders who shaped the Lost Cause after the war but the men who shared the mud and blood of the front lines.  Both US & CS, they were Americans and men not all that different than you or I.  Men with the same fears and wants the same foibles and strengths as those shown by this generation or the "Greatest Generation" of the WWII years.  They were human beings with real stories and real lives, all too many of which were cut short by an ugly little war we call the Civil War.  Partly becaiuse blood and guts sells I talk about the horror and hardships which leads to talking about the strengthes and sacrifices of those men.

If I can impart anything to a young mind it is the need to question... why did things happen that way?  Encourage your classmates to go into the library and look at what's there on the subject, then ask why?  Why did the author come to the conclusions in that book?  Why did he/she write about that particular subject?  Look at the bibliography, you'll find the books that influenced the authors conclusion.  Read and read some more.

Close Window