View single post by MAubrecht
 Posted: Tue Jul 18th, 2006 05:53 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
MAubrecht

Mana: 

It really doesn't matter does it? One slave or a hundred slaves - the institution was still a travesty - BUT ultimately a travesty that was "shared" on both sides of the Mason-Dixon line (racism that is). I find it odd that some people use numbers and quantities to "soften" the cold reality of the ownership of another human being.

And in regards to embracing a "Lost Cause"... take a look at the U.S. federal government today - and how corrupt and out of control it is - and tell me that at least part of that "Cause" was not justified? I hate to quote a movie-line in support of an argument (but it is one "based" on an actual conversation) so I'll use it here in my post. In "Gods and Generals" - yes I know it is an unpopular film among some of our members here, Jackson states, "If the North triumphs, it is not alone the destruction of our property, it is the prelude to anarchy, infidelity and the ultimate loss of free and responsible government on this continent. It is the triumph of commerce, banks and the factory." ...Sounds familiar doesn't it?

I don't see a "responsible government" in power. The "little guy" and the blue collar worker have been stepped on by "the triumph of commerce, banks and the factory". The country has taken a turn for the worse and now resembles a shell of its former greatness. The traditions, values, and integrity of American culture have been pushed aside in the name of political correctness and the almighty dollar... Yeah, that's some great Union we have here.

My point is that not all aspects of the Southern Cause were deplorable (slavery-aside) and many of the negatives that they projected have come true over time.

Close Window