View single post by javal1
 Posted: Sat Sep 13th, 2008 01:58 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Assuming that it's true that the "winners wrote the history" where the Civil War is concerned, then how do we explain the following paradox -

The historical reputation of the winning side's most famous general is that of an ignorant, falling down drunk who only won because he had more men to throw away. And the losing side's most famous general is widely regarded as one of the greatest military geniuses in American history, and possibly world history.

Put aside for a moment the accuracy or non-accuracy of these claims, and consider this - If you were on the winning side and in charge of writing the history, is this how you would want your most famous general, and your enemy's most famous general, portrayed?

Marty, I don't know either you or Perry and I have no opinion I wish to share on the topic at hand. So as a totally neutral observer, I have to say that I saw no "upbraiding" or attempt to give anyone a history lesson in the above. As a matter of fact, I thought it was a good question with no personal implications. Just saying....

Close Window