View single post by CleburneFan
 Posted: Sun Sep 14th, 2008 02:53 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
CleburneFan

Mana: 

I am presently reading Southern Storm. As soon as I saw Trudeau had written it, I wanted it because I loved his book on Gettysburg. It is very readable. I have to admit some of the books I read teach me a lot of valuable material about the war, but, oh my, can some of them be DRY!!! Not Trudeau.

The only thing I would change--- and it is always what I would change with almost any Civil War book--- is the maps--bigger, more detailed , please.

After I had already purchased this book I discovered that Joseph Glatthaar has written a similar one. I really found Glatthaar's book  General Lee's Army from Victory to Collapse to be most insightful. He writes about the "little guy" in the army--the lowest ranks and lowest officer ranks. I suspect he might take the same tack on his book about Sherman's grand march.

I plan to read Glatthaar's book next year. There are several other fine books in line ahead of it. Meanwhile I am enjoying Southern Storm. One thing it has taught me so far is that at least in the early days of the grand march, Sherman's army had little difficulty foraging. That fact makes me wonder why the CSA army was always so hungry by 1864. and earlier. It also makes me wonder why prisoners at Andersonville and Camp Lawton were so hungry. Apparently there was plenty of livestock, corn and  ubiquitous sweet potatos to be had. Also there were so many head of cattle and other livestock in the relatively close Florida.

The book also makes apparent that CSA cavalry general Joseph Wheeler was under orders from Hood to race ahead of Sherman and destroy all food and items that might be of value to the Union army. So Wheeler's men did their own share of damage in Georgia as a pre-emptive strike. 

Last edited on Sun Sep 14th, 2008 02:54 am by CleburneFan

Close Window